Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

I normally boil my corned beef and cabbage, but yesterday we were going to be out for the afternoon so after a quick google search of slow cooker recipes I decided to try this one.

It was amazing. And truly a one pot meal.

The corned beef was incredibly tender, which meant the girls gobbled it up. The potatoes were a little soft, but very flavorful. I would highly recommend it to anyone who happens to be looking for a corned beef and cabbage recipe on the day after St. Patty's day.




5 pound corned beef brisket
5 medium potatoes, peeled
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 medium onions, peeled
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups water
1 head of cabbage, chopped into quarters

Place the potatoes in the bottom of the pot and top them with the meat and the onions. Pour the remaining ingredients, with the exception of the cabbage, over the top.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high 6 -7 hours.

Remove the meat and potatoes and cover to keep warm. Place the cabbage in the pot with all the juices from the meat and cook on high until softened, about 20 minutes.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 comments:

  1. I should try this - looks so easy and tasty. I did an Irish stew - very basic and in the slow cooker - and it was amazing. I was shocked how good it was for such little effort. My husband did remind me it was not as good as yours, though ;-) Two out of three kids ate it - that's good to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. first time visit here..nice blog n nice recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely try this next time I buy corned beef and cabbage- probably March 2010!!

    ReplyDelete