Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli

This is one of those dishes that I have been making for as long as I can remember. It is a one pot wonder that is ready in the time it takes to cook the pasta. Abby started eating shrimp before her first birthday and this has been one of her favorite dishes since!

To make this dish a bit lighter, you can cut the amount of both oil and butter in half and then substitute about half a cup of white wine. Add the wine to the shrimp before adding the pasta.




Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli

1 pound pasta (spaghetti or linguine)
1 large bunch of broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 pound large or extra large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Cook the pasta in salted water according to package directions. Add the broccoli for the last 3 to 4 minutes of cooking.

Meanwhile, heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When the butter is melted, add the garlic. Saute for one minute, then add the shrimp. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes per side.

Transfer cooked pasta and broccoli to the skillet and heat through. Serve hot.



AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy. We haven't had shrimp in ages and my husband loves it - I'll have to give this a try. Sounds so easy . . . right up my alley :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful! I love pasta and shrimp. My husband doesn't eat shrimp, but I'd love to get the girls to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm! This looks so good and I know it will be a hit at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! And super easy, plus all things my kids love to eat-might be the perfect dinner!

    ReplyDelete