Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Classic Banana Bread

This quick bread is a great way to use up bananas that are over ripe and is always a popular breakfast or snack in this house. I often make it with my girls, just as I remember making it with my mother and the simple recipe produces wonderfully moist bread everytime.

I have found that a glass (Pyrex) loaf pan results in moister, more evenly cooked bread than a metal pan.






Classic Banana Bread

8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2-3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1/4 cup buttermilk or 1/4 cup milk with 1 teaspoon vinegar added

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (preferably a glass pan).

Combine the milk with the vinegar and set aside. If using buttermilk, skip this step.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Stir in the eggs, then the mashed bananas and mix well. Add the dry ingredients (salt, baking soda and flour) and stir to combine. Add the milk, which should now look curdled, and mix well.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you use a glass pyrex as well. That's what I use but wasn't sure if maybe something else would be better. I make this a lot, so I'll give this recipe a try - I've never used buttermilk but bet it's great!! Some weeks no one here eats bananas, drives me nuts and then I have tons leftover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to make banana bread. It is fun to try out other recipes. Thanks. Very impressed with your menu for the week. I wish I was that organized.

    Feel free to stop by my blog....I am hosting a give-a-way. :D

    ReplyDelete