Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Quesadillas- a frugal, healthy, quick, pantry meal

Need something quick and simple for the kids that is also healthy? A simple recipe that will stretch your grocery budget? A new way to use leftover meat and veggies?

These Quesadillas are a tried and true family favorite. I probably make them at least once a week for either lunch or dinner when I have leftovers to use up or need to do a quick meal. Unlike bread, the flour tortillas last for about a month in the pantry so it is easy to keep all the ingredients on hand.



Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas
Serves 4

4 burrito size flour tortillas
1 cup corn (left over or thawed frozen corn)
1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed
1 1/2 cups cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, shredded
sour cream for serving

Layer one quarter of the beans, corn and then cheese on one half of each tortilla.

Fold over each tortilla and cook over medium heat until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side.

Cut into thirds and serve with sour cream for dipping.

Substitutions: The tortillas, cheese and sour cream are essential. The remaining ingredients can be replaced with just about anything you have on hand. Some of our favorite fillings include:

  • Refried beans
  • Shredded Cooked Chicken
  • Apple
  • Avocado
  • Bacon and Eggs

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 comments:

  1. I just bookmarked this one. I think my kids will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! You could use corn tortillas in place of flour tortillas (I'm gluten free) and then adding chicken bites...yum-o, a quick easy meal. You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THese look yummy! I make ours with chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa mixed with cheese. I am going to give yours a try next time.

    Aimee
    http://journalofamomma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really yummy !! I'm going to have to try them tis week ... I think I've got corn inthe freezer ...

    I'm liking the look of your blog. This is my first visit ... I'm going to have a better look around as soon as I finish this comment.

    Thought you might like to know about our foods of the world series that we are starting this month ... each month we will focus on a different country ... come check it out ... you might like to participate !!

    Foods Of The World

    ReplyDelete