Sunday, September 14, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

Last weeks Teriyaki Chicken? Not a big hit here. After trying two teriyaki chicken recipes, I have come to the conclusion that we are just not soy sauce fans. A little bit in a sauce is okay, but as the main ingredient it just does not work for us.

In other news, I have been inspired by Owlhaven (and the fact that we have been spending too much money lately) to attempt to keep our grocery budget to $60 per week. I was already planning our menus and stocking up on staples based on the weekly sales and spending about $100 per week.

My plans for cutting back?


  • Limit myself to one trip to the grocery store per week; no going back for extra snacks or some special ingredient I forgot. We will make do with what we have.

  • Make better use of what is already in my pantry. I am a bit of a pack rat- we could probably eat out of the pantry for a month if we had to.

  • Buy less processed snacks. We will eat healthier snacks or just snack less. Win/Win.

  • Use my Crockpot to make better use of inexpensive meats.

  • Plan quick, simple and inexpensive meals like quesadillas, tuna melts and eggs for dinner on nights we are busy with activities.

I have also resolved to avoid Target if at all possible and to not buy anymore clothes for the girls and me until the end of October, no matter how cute they may be. We. Have. Enough.

With all this in mind, I spent my $60 yesterday and came up with this menu for the week:

Sunday: Roast Chicken with Mashed Potatoes, Roast Squash and Homemade Gravy

Monday: Out

Tuesday: Grilled Hamburgers and Salad

Wednesday: Pizza Night

Thursday: Tuna Melts with baby carrots

Friday: Sour Cream Noodle Bake

Saturday: Spaghetti and Meatballs

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great menu. I started cutting back my spending too and manage to do it around $60/week. Another tip is to plan your menu around the grocery store ad with all their specials for the week, especially any buy one get one free items. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Tuna Melts at our house too! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Blessings,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome Beth!! While I know grocery prices differ greatly between Canada and the US (more expensive here, a lot more), I am easily $100 a week or more. I am trying but some of your tips are great! Costco is the kicker for me - I go to save money on milk and juice and other items and end up leaving having spent $200!

    ReplyDelete