In other news, I have been inspired by Owlhaven (and the fact that we have been spending too much money lately) to attempt to keep our grocery budget to $60 per week. I was already planning our menus and stocking up on staples based on the weekly sales and spending about $100 per week.
My plans for cutting back?
- Limit myself to one trip to the grocery store per week; no going back for extra snacks or some special ingredient I forgot. We will make do with what we have.
- Make better use of what is already in my pantry. I am a bit of a pack rat- we could probably eat out of the pantry for a month if we had to.
- Buy less processed snacks. We will eat healthier snacks or just snack less. Win/Win.
- Use my Crockpot to make better use of inexpensive meats.
- Plan quick, simple and inexpensive meals like quesadillas, tuna melts and eggs for dinner on nights we are busy with activities.
I have also resolved to avoid Target if at all possible and to not buy anymore clothes for the girls and me until the end of October, no matter how cute they may be. We. Have. Enough.
With all this in mind, I spent my $60 yesterday and came up with this menu for the week:
Sunday: Roast Chicken with Mashed Potatoes, Roast Squash and Homemade Gravy
Tuesday: Grilled Hamburgers and Salad
Wednesday: Pizza Night
Thursday: Tuna Melts with baby carrots
Friday: Sour Cream Noodle Bake
Saturday: Spaghetti and Meatballs