Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Easy Oven Baked Meatballs

Who doesn't love Spaghetti and Meatballs? Certainly no one in my house. And what is better on a cool fall day than a pot of meatballs simmering away in a sauce full of fresh herbs from the garden? Plus, because this recipe uses all ingredients that I generally have in my pantry and freezer, it also makes a great (and economical) last minute crowd pleaser.

Now some people might be appalled that I don't use three different types of ground meat or fry my meatballs. I have tried a couple of these proper (more complicated) recipes and personally, after they have been simmering in the sauce for a few hours I really don't think they taste any different. So I go with easy. And economical. But trust me, these are some moist, delicious meatballs.



For the Meatballs
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, chopped
1 egg

For the Sauce
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix together all of the meatball ingredients. Shape into about ten 3 inch balls and place on a baking sheet.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a large crock pot (set on Low) or dutch oven (over low heat).

Remove the meatballs from the oven, allow them to cool slightly and then add them to the sauce. Simmer, covered, for at least two hours or as long as all afternoon, stirring occasionally.

Serve over pasta with grated Parmesan cheese.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing Beth! I haven't made meatballs in a million years. I love using my crock pot and having dinner ready at supper time without having to do the work between 5:00 - 6:00 pm. I don't have any fresh herbs, but that's my goal for next summer in the backyard . . . for now I buy them and they're sometimes expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been far too long since I last made meatballs!

    ReplyDelete