Saturday, August 2, 2008

Tomatoes, Mozzarella and Basil

This is really more a combination of perfectly complementary ingredients than a real recipe.

With an abundance of fresh tomatoes and basil in my garden this is a very popular summer lunch, snack and side dish in my house. Some French bread rounds out the meal perfectly.





4 or 5 vine ripened tomatoes
1 pound fresh mozzarella**
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt
pepper

Chop the tomatoes and cheese into similar size pieces. Coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Serve at room temperature.

**For this recipe it is important to use fresh mozzarella cheese (small white balls in a briny solution, generally available in the deli section or olive bar) instead of the packaged, processed version available in the refrigerated cheese section. Fresh mozzarella is soft and mild with a with a distinct milk flavor and a completely different texture than the processed version.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 comments:

  1. Wow! what a coincidence! I just made this caprese salad...but in a ciabatta sandwich! When I read tomatoes, mozzarella and basil on the Blogher headlines, I thought for a minute the feeds picked up my post title wrong! Great minds think a like! Hahahaha.

    This is a delicious salad. Beautiful colors you captured. Actually, red, white and green of the ingredients represent the Italian flag.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. This is my favorite summer salad. My husband and I always split an order of this at Panera.

    Have a good weekend!
    Amanda
    Down Home Dieting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe has been featured on my blog! Thanks for participating on Cook It. Blog it!

    http://modkidboutique.blogspot.com/

    Patty

    ReplyDelete