Thursday, April 10, 2008

Quick Meat Sauce

This is a great sauce for those nights that you do not make it to the kitchen to start dinner until 5:00 and want dinner on the table by 5:30.

It is quick, but the "holy trinity" of onion, carrot and celery gives it a rich flavor. Plus, it allows me to get some extra vegetables into the kids. I am not a fan of the deceptively delicious philosophy and I never add vegetables to a recipe simply to sneak them into my kids, but if it happens to work out that way I certainly do not complain.

Since this sauce only simmers for 10 minutes, it is important that you use a wide skillet that allows the liquid to evaporate quickly.

Regarding the tomatoes, I have found that "crushed tomatoes" vary greatly in texture from brand to brand. I actually buy several different brands to have in my pantry for different recipes. For this sauce, I like to use tomatoes that are very finely pureed for a smooth, thick sauce.


2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
2 onions, finely chopped
2 small carrots, minced
2 celery stalks, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
1 splash of red wine
1 (32 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes

Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and brown on all sides. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and basil, then saute for another minute. Add a splash of red wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan, scraping up all the brown bits. Add the crushed tomatoes and simmer uncovered until thickened, about 10 minutes.

Serve over pasta.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

  1. I will be making this :) isn't it funny how children are? they won't eat a tomato but give them spaghetti or lasagna and they wolf it down.. I have the DD cookbook but Haven't used it since I bought in the fall.really must make the chicken nuggets soon.Have a great weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quick pasta dishes for weeknights. I bet this sauce tastes great, will have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete