Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pasta with Spring Vegetables

I threw this dish together last night because I had leftover asparagus that I needed to use up. I certainly did not expect my kids to actually eat the asparagus. They do like broccoli so I threw some of that in. And some peas, too.

I was not sure how well all the vegetables would go together, but it turns out it was really good. And easy. And both kids loved it. Even the asparagus. I put it on their plates and waited for the complaints. Nothing. I looked, expecting it to be pushed aside or on the floor. But no, they actually ate the noodles (no surprise) and all the vegetables. All of them. I will definitely be making this again.

For those of you that like a meal to include meat, some left over chicken or prosciutto would probably be wonderful added to this dish.

Pasta with Spring Vegetables

1 pound of thin spaghetti
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch of broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
1 bunch of asparagus, tough ends removed and chopped in thirds
1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
parmesan cheese for serving (optional)


Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Meanwhile, heat the butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for one minute. Blanch the broccoli in the boiling water for 3 minutes, then add it to the skillet. Do the same with the asparagus. As you add each of the vegetables, sprinkle with about 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt and some pepper. This may seem like a lot of salt, but it really brings out the flavor of the vegetables and will also flavor all of the pasta.

Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions. Continue to sauté the vegetables, stirring occasionally.

Transfer the cooked pasta to the skillet with the vegetables, add the peas and warm through. Serve with parmesan cheese.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

  1. If I had been at your table I'm pretty sure I would have cleared my plate too. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! Thank you!!!! that recipe is dinner friday night... :=) I

    ReplyDelete