Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Pasta with Sausage and Mushroom Sauce

This is one of those constantly evolving recipes in my kitchen. I happen to love the combination of sausage, mushrooms and red peppers right now so I decided to try it in a red sauce. The result is pretty good if I do say so myself. It disappeared from the plates of my husband and children, so I guess they agree. The kids even accidently ate the veggies because they blended in so well.

I do my simmering in the oven, mainly because I can not seem to simmer a sauce on the stove without burning it and also splattering sauce all over the wall. So, oven= no burning and no mess. A crock pot would probably also work, but my love affair with my Le Creuset dutch oven is still going strong. The great thing about this method is that you make it sometime in the afternoon (nap time, before school gets out?) and forget about it in the oven until dinner time when all you have to do is make the pasta. And it makes your house smell heavenly.

This recipe makes 2 quarts of sauce, which is enough for 2 pounds of pasta. It freezes wonderfully, so I usually freeze half for a super quick meal another night.


olive oil
1 pound hot italian sausage
2 medium onions, chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 large red pepper, chopped
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup red wine
2 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons parsley, minced


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven. Add the sausage. When sausage begins to brown add the onions, mushrooms and pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are softened and sausage is browned, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Turn up the heat to high and add the wine, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and parsley and bring to a boil.

Move the pot to the oven and cook 1 - 1.5 hours. The sauce should be simmering gently. If it seems to be boiling too vigorously, turn down the heat to 300. After cooking, you can turn off the oven and leave the sauce in the warm oven for another hour or two if needed. Serve over pasta.

2 comments:

  1. I am SOOO in love with my LeCreuset too! I love this recipe too. Great weeknight go to and looks so delicious! Love the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for easy and yummy pasta dishes. This looks great, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that one day somebody will buy me some LeCreuset!

    ReplyDelete