Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Grilled Steak Crostini

I am pretty clueless when it comes to different cuts of beef. At the market I see an overwhelming array of fatty looking meat, give up and grab more chicken. However, I would like to learn more about how to select and cook beef.

Tonight, I discovered that rib-eye steaks are moist, tender, delicious and easy to grill. I also discovered that my toddler really likes steak. This was not our healthiest dinner, but it was a delicious treat and there was not a crumb left on the table. This dish would also make a great game day snack or holiday appetizer.

The original recipe called for one large sandwich made with the ingredients below. Instead, I sliced and toasted the bread to make crostini and made smaller open faced sandwiches. I think this was easier for the kids to eat. The original recipe also called for marinating the meat in a mixture of vinegar, soy sauce and worcestershire sauce. I skipped this step entirely because I forgot about it until it was too late. The meat was so good, I do not think I would bother with it next time either.

Grilled Steak Crostini
adapted from Giada De Laurentiis, Giada's Family Dinners

salt and pepper
olive oil
2 rib-eye steaks
4 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup sour cream
1 baguette, sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 cups arugula

Season the steak with salt and pepper. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Grill the steaks to desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side. Remove the steaks from the grill and let them rest for 10 minutes, then cut them crosswise into thin slices.

Meanwhile, stir the cheese and sour cream in a small bowl to form a thick spread. Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Broil until toasted on top, about 3-5 minutes.

Spread the cheese mixture over the bread. Arrange the arugula and warm steak slices on top.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 comment:

  1. That sounds great! especially with the addition of the arugla! Yum!

    ReplyDelete