Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Classic Sugar Cookies


I am not a big fan of doing craft projects with my kids, mainly because they are messy and then what do you do with a bunch of rocks painted like bugs? Or some toilet paper tubes made into flowers? Cooking projects at least result in something edible, so we find ourselves making lots of cookies. These are a hit with my girls because of the fun shapes and the decorating.

My mother has been making these cookies for as long as I can remember. They are simple but surprisingly tasty without being too heavy.

Classic Sugar Cookies
3 1/4 cups of flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon milk
2 eggs

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Place the butter, sugar, extracts and milk in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.

Divide dough into 2 parts and chill for at least two hours.

Preheat oven to 350. Roll out dough to 1/4 of an inch thick, cut into shapes, decorate and bake for 7-9 minutes.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 comment:

  1. Hah, I love your thoughts on craft projects. :) For as much as I LOVED crafts as a kid, I can't imagine doing them ALL the time when my daughter is older. I'd much rather bake. :) I especially love sugar cookies with almond. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete