Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Pasta with Scallops and Eggplant

I am a big fan of eggplant. I grow it in my garden. I love the flavor and texture. My kids do not eat it and my husband is indifferent so I like to include it in pasta dishes since I know there are other things in the dish that they will enjoy. Everyone wins. Maybe someday the kids will actually try it.

This dish is best in the summer when the parsley, eggplant and tomatoes are fresh from my garden, but I make it all year round with good results.

1 pound pasta
1/3 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus 1/3 cup
1 large eggplant, chopped
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound scallops
1/3 cup white wine
2 cups halved grape tomatoes

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat add the 1/3 cup olive oil, eggplant, salt, pepper, garlic, red chili flakes, and 1/4 cup parsley. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the eggplant from the pan and set aside.

Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Using the same pan, over medium-high heat, add the 2 remaining tablespoons of olive oil and cook until opaque, about 5 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the tomatoes, eggplant, cooked pasta and the remaining 1/3 cup parsley.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments:

Post a Comment